Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Clean Up - Prepare the Tools



I've been very excited about the upcoming #gardenchat on Twitter this Monday evening not only because it is a great excuse to sit back after a long day of gardening with my growing connection but because the topic is a sure sign that SPRING has Sprung! Now we maybe enduring winter like temperatures but one look at the quickly greening grass and the early spring bulbs arriving in the landscape and there is NO DOUBT spring has arrived. Time to open up the potting shed and get out the wheel barrows, shovels, rakes and pruners to prepare for some exciting new and healthy growth. Today I had the privilege to speak with Chris Sabbarese who is the Digital Marketing & Communications Manager for Corona Clipper, Inc. - Professional, Landscape & Garden tools. Chris shares some important facts about maintenance for Corona tool users or ANY OTHER brand you may use in your garden that will help keep our gardens and landscape in top shape this upcoming season. You will find that podcast at the bottom of this blog entry This is my second year using raised beds for my spring harvest. I can't wait to harvest some of my families favorites that are easy to grow like a few varieties of peas and lettuce. The first thing that needs to be done in my raised beds for spring cleaning is to turn that soil. The raised beds right outside the greenhouse I use have a layer of bunny compost on them that was added this winter. The awesome thing about using bunny compost is that it breaks down super fast leaving me the easy job of just turning it with a hoe or smaller shovel. Once the soil has been turned a few times it is ready to plant. I will have to have something handing to cover the seeds once they start to sprout like a sheet or plastic cover because we get nights with frost up until mid-May that can damage those early crops.

#1 Lesson I've Learned with Spring Clean Up

If you are taking care of those tools properly as directed in the podcast I shared today with Chris Sabbarese, those tools are extra sharp. Be sure to use caution when operating or transporting the pruners or loppers.

[display_podcast]

The Corona Tools Resource Page Link at CoronaToolsUSA.com

No comments: